Thursday, August 9, 2007

Happy Birthday Birdie!


Today was a really special day during our visit to the Infirmary. In March, I met a woman who lives in the Infirmary named Birdie. Birdie is old and blind and wonderful. She grew up in Jamaica, and she is half Jamaican and have Native American. She always wears a dress with her hair in braided pigtails, covered up by a yellow do-rag. Birdie is very special to me. Every week this summer, I have gone to visit her. We have spent hours and hours just talking, laughing, reading her favorite Psalms, and singing her favorite songs. She has shown me so much about faith and true trust in Christ. As I sit with her during my weekly visits, I am blown away as she depends on the Lord for every provision in her life. The way she lives now in a place that is so absent of physical love is in every way a reflection of her love for Christ. The way she awaits heaven is incredible; singing about it and praying about it like a party with Jesus is coming tomorrow! As you can see, this woman has deeply moved my heart this summer. I am so thankful to have her in my life!

Today we celebrated Birdie's birthday! Her birthday is actually next week on August 15th. But since we will not be here next week, we decided to celebrate today. We greeted Birdie as usual, with a big hug and then sat down to be with her. We sang her "Happy Birthday" and gave her her favorite sweeties (or candy), peppermints! She even sang her birthday song along with us, so excited to be celebrating a week early! We're not really sure how old Birdie is. She doesn't remember the year she was born and there is no record of her birth at the Infirmary. From the way she looks, I would guess Birdie to be somewhere in her eighties (possibly nineties). For the rest of our visit today, we sang with her and read her favorite Psalms, 27 and 62. (If I were you, I'd look that up right now and read about the exact conditions of Birdie's life!) Today was a beautiful day and I just thought I would share it with you...

I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord...
Psalm 27:13-14

Only a few more days,

Lacy

No comments: